The topic was on learning and teaching in general and how we as teachers can challenge and change personal philosophies on learning. How can we engage students more to enhance their capacity to see discomfort as something essential for building on existing knowledge and capabilities; to realise new meanings and understandings. Guest speakers used many interesting terms to put across similar ideas like:
- 'intellectual stretch' - raising intellectual demand of the task
- to bring students to the 'edge of their thinking'
- encourage self directed questioning
- Mind growth - develop the 'psychological muscle' to hang tough
- Metacognitive strategies to 'enhance the ability to solve complex, unfamiliar and non-routine tasks.'